Skip to main content
  • Disability Support Services

Midway University strives for excellence in creating a campus environment of inclusion and accessibility that ensures compliance with federal and state regulations.

Midway University is committed to serving qualified students, faculty, staff, and visitors with disabilities. Midway University strives for excellence in creating a campus environment of inclusion and accessibility that ensures compliance with federal and state regulations.

The Accommodations Coordinator supports this commitment by partnering with students and other members of the campus community to determine accessibility needs and provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access for all students who participate in Midway University programs and services.

Please review the information below for additional information about Disability Services, the accommodations process, and other accessibility resources.

Accommodations Request Form

The Accommodations Process

Who qualifies for disability services?

A “disability” is a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits or restricts the condition, manner, or duration under which an average person in the population can perform a major life activity, such as walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, working, or taking care of oneself.

An impairment or diagnosis, in and of itself, does not necessarily constitute a disability: it must “substantially limit” these activities. Disabilities do not necessarily impair the individual’s performance but may require the individual to seek alternate methods of carrying out a given task.

The University is required by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act to provide effective auxiliary aids and services for qualified students with documented disabilities if such aids are needed to provide equal access to the University’s programs and services. “Qualified Student with a disability” means a disabled person who meets the academic and technical standards for admission and participation in Midway’s educational programs and services.

Document the disability and qualified healthcare professional's recommendation for reasonable accommodations.

All students must submit current documentation from a qualified healthcare provider before any accommodation can be granted. Once the Accommodations Request Form is completed, the Accommodations Coordinator will provide information to submit additional information. To ensure complete documentation, we suggest printing the guidelines and giving a copy to clinicians for use in filling out the form for the need for accommodations. Students are also asked to keep a copy of any documentation materials they provide to Midway. Last-minute submission of documentation may result in delays in consideration or approval of requested services.

Documentation can be provided by secure email, or you may bring it to the Accommodations Coordinator. Some healthcare providers may prefer to fax documentation. Faxed documentation can be sent to 859.846.5321.

Students may be asked to periodically provide comprehensive information if their condition may change over time and/or previous documentation does not include sufficient relevant information.

Download Guidelines

Coordinate with the Student Accommodations Coordinator for implementation of reasonable accommodation.

All students must coordinate with the Student Accommodations Coordinator before every semester or module, either in person, by phone, or email before any accommodation can be approved and provided. Coordinating with the Student Accommodations Coordinator ensures students receive personalized, reasonable accommodations in the manner consistent with the fundamental nature of University programs.

Students are always encouraged to contact the Disability Services whenever they have questions or concerns regarding their existing accommodations.

Academic Accommodations

Academic accommodations are the most common accommodations provided through Disability Services. Common academic accommodations include, but are not limited to, extended time for tests and quizzes, distraction reduced test environments, digital content remediation, and assistive technology.

Accessibility Accommodations

Accessibility accommodations serve students with physical or other impairments that limit access to University facilities or online content. The Student Accommodations Coordinator collaborates with students and administrative offices to ensure accessibility needs are met through parking accommodations, classroom location accommodations, accessibility of online content, and other accessibility accommodations as needed.

Dining Accommodations

Students may have different dietary needs due to medical conditions. When special dietary needs are documented, Disability Services can provide support in navigating University dining options in the way that ensures equal access to University dining programs. Services range from educating on how food is prepared to consulting with dining staff for dietary specific arrangements.

Housing Accommodations

The Student Accommodations Coordinator collaborates with the Housing Office to provide reasonable accommodations for student housing assignments based on the availability of housing and the recommendations of professionals based on disability needs.

Temporary Accommodations

Although students with temporary illness or injury may not be considered disabled by the law, they often need services or accommodations similar to those provided to students with permanent disabilities in order to maintain their academic program with minimal interruption. Students with extenuating medical circumstances are encouraged to consult with the Student Accommodations Coordinator as soon as possible. Students requesting services must present current documentation from a qualified healthcare provider before accommodations can be addressed.

Disability Testing Resources

Students who need testing or assistance with accommodations can contact one of these offices for psychological, cognitive and other testing.

Kentucky Office of Vocational Rehabilitation

Central Office
275 East Main Street
Mail Drop 2EK
Frankfort, KY 40621
800.372.7172 (V/TTY)

They can perform testing of cognitive abilities, aptitude, personality, and adaptive functioning and can help with providing assistive technology.

Although they are called Vocational Rehabilitation, they can perform testing for students wanting to attend college, and not only for job placement.

Beaumont Behavioral Health

1030 Monarch St
Lexington, KY 40513

They provide psychological assessment and take many insurance policies.

Dr. Gina DeArth-Pendley (Midway University)


Dr. DeArth-Pendley is a licensed psychologist and provides free and confidential counseling to Midway students. She is able to provide limited testing to currently enrolled students during the academic year.

Animal Policy

Registering a service animal with the Student Affairs Office

Although students are not required to provide documentation or information about the nature of their disability or proof that their animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service dog, they are encouraged to register the presence of the animal with the Student Affairs Office. Students who wish to bring a service animal into student housing should register the presence of the animal at least 30 calendar days before the date they would like to bring the animal into student housing. When not readily apparent, owners may be asked to provide documentation confirming (1) that the animal is required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task the animal has been trained to perform. Animals that accompany an owner who does not have a disability, or that have not been approved by Student Affairs as an emotional support animal in keeping with this policy (see below), may be asked to remove the animal from campus. Owners of services animals are expected to abide by the Rules of Conduct set out further below.

To register a Service Animal with Student Affairs, a student must first fill out the request for accommodation form. The student must then provide the name and breed of the animal, license, and current vaccination records.

Policy and Procedures for Emotional Support Animals

Accessibility and Accommodations Grievances

If you believe you were unfairly denied a relevant and reasonable accommodation request, you may schedule a meeting with the Accommodations Coordinator to address your grievance. The Accommodations Coordinator will consider whatever information you present at the meeting in support of your grievance, whether written or oral, and attempt to resolve your concerns within ten (10) working days of your meeting, in writing, unless the Accommodations Coordinator informs you additional time is required.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome provided by the Accommodations Coordinator, you may submit a written appeal to the Vice President of Admissions and Student Affairs. Your appeal must be submitted to the Vice President of Admissions and Student Affairs within thirty (30) calendar days after you receive the Accommodations Coordinator’s decision, and should include your name, campus address, email address, phone number, a full description of the situation, a description of the efforts to resolve the issue thus far, and the result you seek. The Vice President of Admissions and Student Affairs will review the record and the information you provide and render a written decision within five (10) working days after he/she receives your appeal. Provided, however, the Vice President of Admissions and Student Affairs extend this time if additional time or information is needed to adequately address your appeal. The decision of the Vice President of Admissions and Student Affairs will be final.

Midway University prohibits retaliation against persons who request accommodations, file grievances, and submit appeals under this policy. Students who believe they have been subjected to such retaliation should immediately report it to the Vice President of Admissions and Student Affairs.


For questions about student services, please contact our Student Accommodations Coordinator at 859.846.5390.